About the MicW i437L
The MicW i437L is a light-weight omnidirectional microphone designed for use with all Apple iPhones and iPads that feature a lightning connection. Plug and play directly into your phone or tablet's lightning connection to instantly add higher quality recording capabilities to your device.
The i437L is a calibrated measurement microphone complying with the Class 2 (IEC 61672) sound level meter standard. The superior quality of the engineering involved in the manufacture of the i437L is instantly appreciated when you use it in conjunction with your measurement meter (iPhone or iPad).
The sensitivity and frequency response of each microphone is individually calibrated at the factory before shipping, with its own unique frequency plot included. This guarantees all readings are accurate for every unit. With the i437L and an appropriate Application (App), you can turn your iPhone or iPad into a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, a real time analyser (RTA) for time and frequency domain measurements, and of course a portable digital recorder.
The i437L is an omnidirectional, 7mm capsule, electret condenser microphone which houses outstanding performance in the smallest of packages. Tough and incredibly durable it can easily be stored in your pocket or on a key-ring. The i437L can be used to measure or record vocals, instruments and any live sound accurately without self-distortion and with an extremely flat response.
As the i437L has an omnidirectional polar pattern you can record a rehearsal or gig into a digital format that can be distributed easily amongst your peers or fans.
The Hi Fi enthusiast can use the i437L to accurately measure the frequency response of their speakers/room and reposition equipment or acoustic treatment appropriately to elicit the best response from the system in any listening environment.
The i437L is also used in the work place with the appropriate App. to precisely measure for excessive levels of background sound with regards to the 'Control of Noise at Work Regulations' of 2005.
If you require a device you can operate for simple no fuss interviews, ENG (Electronic News Gathering) the i437L is the perfect solution. The omnidirectional pattern and small size affords you the comfort of not having an obtrusive, large microphone to distract the interviewee. It can also be used for recording business meetings.
- Class 2, Individually Calibrated Measurement Mic
- Use with iPhone & iPad devices
- 7mm Capsule
- Tough & Durable
- SPL (Sound Pressure Level) measurement
- RTA (Real Time Analyser) measurement
- Recording vocals and/or instruments
- Record interviews (news, journalism etc.)
- In the workplace. i.e. measuring sound level in the workplace, record meetings, audio notes etc.
Suggested Compatible iOS Apps
MicW i437L FAQ
- What are the advantages of MicW i437L?
- What is the minimum sound pressure level iPhone or iPad can measure?
- What is the maximum sound pressure level iPhone or iPad can measure?
- Which devices is the i437L compatible with?
- How do I know the i437L is connected to the iPhone?
- What is the bit depth and the sampling rate of the iPhone?
- What are the typical frequency responses of i437L and how the results related to IEC61672 standard?
- Can the i437L be used as an industrial standard measurement device?
- What kind of software can be used with the i437L?
- How accurately does the iPhone or iPad with i437L measure overall dBA for Pink noise?
- How does the i437L perform under high temperature and humidity environments?
- What APP do you recommend for STIPA (Speech Transmission Index) measurements?
The i437L is a digital microphone that connects via the iPhone Lightning connector. It has a flat frequency response and low signal-to-noise. Each i437L complies with the IEC61672 class 2 sound level meter standard, allowing for individual calibration using common sound level calibrators.
35 dB (A) (iPhone 5)
30 dB (A) (iPhone 7)
120 dB (A) (iPhone 5)
129 dB (A) (iPhone 7)
The i437L is designed specially for iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and iTouch devices that feature iOS and a Lightning connector.
Once connected, your App software (such as SigScopePro) will likely indicate when an external microphone has been inserted into the headset connector.
The iPhones use 24 bits and 48kHz sampling. This specification may change with later versions of the iPhone.
The typical frequency response of the i437L is shown via the black line in the following chart. The red lines are the limits specified in the IEC61672 standards for Class 1 Sound Level Meters. MicW microphones closely follow these specifications during production as quality control.
Yes, the MicW i437L can be used to turn the iPhone into a real time analyzer. For more information, please see Appendix A of the following PDF document.
The i437L is compatible with most Sound Level Meter, Real Time Analyzer (RTA) and Recording apps available from the App Store and Google Play. Please note that different software could give you different results. MicW have succesfully tested both SignalScopePro and DSP mobile, which have professional calibration functions.
Comparison measurements were made by MicW in their Anechoic Chamber with a BSWA801 Class 1 sound level meter. A loudspeaker was used to generate Pink noise, and the MicW BSWA CA114 was used to calibrate both the iPhone device and BSWA801. With measurements taken from the same position, overall dBA readings from two devices were within ±1.0 dBA.
Three i437L microphones were tested in the environmental chamber for 18,5 hours under 40 C and 95% RH humidity. The related sensitivity changes are within 0.5 dB.
MicW recommends the iSTI Professional app from Embedded Acoustics.
- Type: Electret Condenser
- Capsule diameter: 7.0 mm (can be calibrated)
- Principle of operation: Pressure
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Sensitivity(±3dB): -44 dB (6.3mV/Pa)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz~20kHz
- S/N ratio: More than 62dB
- Impedance: Less than 2.2kΩ
- Power Source: Plug-in power capability, plug and play
- Operating Temperature: -20℃~+50℃
- Length: 50mm
- Weight: 8g
- Connector: Lightning
This item currently has no reviews.