The ADI-8 DS Mk III is an 8-channel high-end AD and DA converter in reference quality. The standard 1u, 19" box, is a versatile device that offers endless and extraordinary features such as: Intelligent Clock Control (ICC), SyncCheck ™, SteadyClock, four hardware reference levels up to +24 dBu, AES/EBU and ADAT I/O, 192 kHz sample rate, and a digital patch mode.
- 8-channel AD converter, full symmetrical design, 119 dBA
- 8-channel DA converter, double balanced output, 120 dBA
- Low latency conversion: less than 12 samples delay
- 4 x AES/EBU I/O per D-sub, 8 channels @ 192 kHz
- 2 x ADAT I/O, 8 channels @ 96 kHz, 4 channels at 192 kHz
- Word clock input and output
- 2 x 8-channel level metering
- Comprehensive digital patch mode for full interconnectivity
RME ADI-8 DS Mk III Front Panel - Click To Enlarge
The ADI-8 DS Mk III is a highly flexible 8-channel AD/DA converter and digital to digital format converter with an unrivalled bunch of features. The device combines excellent analogue circuit design with outstanding low latency AD/DA converter chips. Along with SteadyClock, the QS offers AD and DA conversion of the highest quality, redefining the reference class of analog/digital converters.
The compact 1U device provides a host of extraordinary features, including 4 hardware reference levels up to +24 dBu, AES/EBU and ADAT I/O up to 192 kHz, and a comprehensive Patch Mode.
The ADI-8 DS Mk III uses a completely symmetrical signal path, that guarantees an exceptional sound quality, outstanding low distortion and highest Signal to Noise ratio in all level settings. To maintain the full dynamic range within all operating levels the ADI-8 DS Mk III uses discrete gain stages which are switched electronically, so that no additional noise or distortion is introduced into the audio path. Sophisticated AD/DA converters provide sample rates up to 192 kHz with a SNR of 120 dBA.
On the digital side, SteadyClock™, RME's unique clock technology and jitter suppression, further enhances the list of features, ensuring the best sound quality regardless of the quality of the reference clock signal. Of course other typical RME features such as Intelligent Clock Control (ICC), SyncCheck™, SyncAlign™ have also been implemented.
The specially developed internal high performance switching power supply provides operation with voltages ranging from 100 to 240 AC Volts. It is short-circuit proof, has an integrated line filter, is fully regulated against voltage fluctuations, and suppresses mains interference.
The ADI-8 DS Mk III has separated driver stages for the TRS and D-sub outputs. The servo-balanced TRS jacks will work up to +21 dBu. When selecting +24 dBu the balanced D-sub connector outputs will provide the higher output level while TRS stays at +19 dBu.
2 ADAT I/Os support up to 8 channels at 96 kHz (S/MUX) and 4 channels at 192 kHz (S/MUX4). A 25-pin AES/EBU interface features 8 channels at 192 kHz. All outputs can be used simultaneously, i.e.: analog (balanced TRS and/or D-sub), ADAT, AES/EBU.
RME ADI-8 DS Mk III Rear Panel - Click To Enlarge
The ADI-8 DS Mk III provides inputs via TRS orD-sub connectors. Both operate servo-balanced and accept levels up to +24 dBu.
Digital Patch Mode
A digital patchbay with free choice of source and destination setup can be used to convert ADAT to AES, AES to ADAT, cross-convert them at the same time, pass ADAT on to ADAT while monitored analog, and many more. The ADAT outputs also feature copy mode for connection of two different ADAT devices. These powerful and easy to use modes add significant value to the already outstanding conversion quality.
- Input AD: 1/4" TRS jack and 25 pin D-sub, servo balanced, completely symmetrical audio path
- Output AD: 4 x AES/EBU, 2 x ADAT optical
- Input DA: 4 x AES/EBU, 2 x ADAT optical
- Output DA: 1/4" TRS jack servo balanced, up to +21 dBu. 25 pin D-sub, balanced, up to +24 dBu.
- Dynamic Range AD: 119 dBA
- THD AD: < -110 dB (< 0.00032 %)
- THD+N AD: < -104 dB (< 0.00063 %)
- Crosstalk AD: > 110 dB
- Dynamic Range DA: 120 dBA unmuted
- THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063 %)
- THD+N DA: < -102 dB (< 0.0008 %)
- Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
- Input level for 0 dBFS: +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4.2 dBu
- Output level for 0 dBFS: +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4.2 dBu
- Input/Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV
- Sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2 , 96, 176.4, 192 kHz, variable (sync/word)
- Frequency response AD/DA -0.1 dB: 10 Hz - 23.2 kHz (sf 48 kHz)
- Frequency response AD/DA -0.5 dB: < 5 Hz - 43.0 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Frequency response AD/DA -1 dB: < 5 Hz - 85.0 kHz (sf 192 kHz)
- Power supply: Internal switching mode ps, 100 V-240 V AC
Customer Service at its best!!!
My RME UFX (which I purchased from Synthax previously) has now been joined by an RME ADI-8 DS MKIII which allows me to double the number of inputs into my DAW without any compromise in quality. Like all RME products (and I've owned a few) the build quality and sound quality is superb and, physically, they compliment each other perfectly. Thank you all for your huge help in getting me the right products (I do ask a lot of questions, sorry) and the super quick turnaround in getting them to me.
- Peter Connelly