The HDSPe AES is a short-length PCI Express card with AES/EBU interfaces. It provides eight AES inputs (16 channels) and eight AES outputs (16 channels) at 192 kHz sample rate. The card is also equipped with two MIDI I/O ports, word clock I/O, and can be used with the optional TCO module for synchronization to LTC and video.
The HDSPe AES is RMEs reaction to requests from audio professionals for an AES-based solution with the typical RME features and quality. This audio card is a perfect all-in-one solution for professional users in the fields of broadcast, TV, theater, stage/PA - and in any professional studio.
The card's mainboard contains word clock I/O and a 25-pin D-sub connector, providing four AES inputs and four AES outputs via standard digital breakout cable (Tascam pinout). The sensitive word clock input operates on Single, Double and Quad Speed signals automatically. The expansion board adds audio channels 9-16 and a connector for a MIDI breakout Cable with two MIDI I/Os (four 5-pin DIN connectors). It does not require a PCIe slot.
The card is not based on a PCI to PCI Express bridge, which would simply add PCIe to existing PCI technology. It is a newly developed genuine PCI Express solution, which consequently takes full advantage of the new format, achieving significant performance gains in multitrack audio and lowest latency.
Differences to RME HDSP AES-32
- PCI Express interface
- Even lower latencies
The AES' remarkable features include:
- Support for 192 kHz at full channel count
- Native support for Double and Quad Wire transfer
- Direct conversion between these formats
- SteadyClock for highest jitter suppression and clock regeneration
- Intuitive and clearly laid-out user interface
- TotalMix: 512 channel mixer with 42 bit internal resolution
- 48 level meter Peak/RMS, hardware-computed
The DSP-based TotalMix mixer enables the AES to route and mix all 16 inputs and 16 playback channels to all 16 physical outputs freely, offering extraordinary monitoring capabilities. Up to 8 fully independent stereo submixes can be created. Routings can be copied and pasted, faders ganged and grouped, which, along with the amazing matrix window, turns the AES into a powerful and easy-to-use redistributor, patchbay, router, converter, and splitter. The hardware-based mixer is fully MIDI-controllable. Furthermore, the DSP hardware calculates RMS and peak level meters for all 48 audio channels, with no measurable CPU load.
The Time Code Option can be used with the HDSPe AES to sync to LTC and video. Thanks to SteadyClock(TM), the TCO not only extracts absolute positions from LTC, but also a very clean low-jitter word clock from LTC and video.
The card's most important settings are stored on the card itself. Rather than operating in a default mode from the moment the computer is switched on until the driver is loaded, the card will immediately activate the last used sampling rate, master/slave configuration and AES format, thus eliminating any startup noise or problems in the clock network, both at system start and reboot.
An optional 19" breakout box is also available. Its innovative design features XLR I/Os that can be accessed from the front or rear in a rack, according to the user's choice. BOB-32 provides D-sub connectors with Tascam and Yamaha pinout, therefore can be used with other devices as digital rack breakout box as well.
TotalMix - Real-Time Digital Mixer
TotalMix is RME’s real-time software controller, included free with all RME audio interfaces and sound cards. Providing complete control over RME devices, with TotalMix you can;
◦ Control all inputs and outputs on your interface (levels, routing etc)
◦ Route any input or software playback channel to any output
◦ Easily create submixes for monitoring, and routing out to other hardware in your studio
◦ Toggle mixer functions like Talkback
◦ Cue any output at the touch of a button
◦ Mute all of your inputs simultanouesly
◦ Recall volume levels, switch between speakers, switch between Mono and Stereo
◦ Save and load previous mixer states and routing setups
Please Note: the RME HDSPe AES features the standard version of TotalMix only, and does not have any of the ‘FX’ found on the majority of RME devices.
TotalMix Remote - Remote Control Over Any Network
TotalMix Remote is a free companion app for TotalMix and TotalMix FX that enables network remote control over any supported RME device*, including wirelessly over Wi-Fi.
*Supported devices include any RME audio interface or sound card that features TotalMix or TotalMix FX. This includes devices dating all the way back to 2001!
When enabled on a secondary Mac, PC or Apple iPad, the app displays a mirror of the Host computer’s TotalMix software window, allowing for complete control over RME Audio Interfaces and Sound Cards via any standard network.
For more information and a Quickstart Guide for TotalMix Remote, click on the TotalMix Remote tab on the RME Technologies page.
Just click on the hammer symbol in the systray of the taskbar and the settings dialog of the HDSPe AES comes up. The clear structured, easy to understand window plus the unique informative status windows for input signal, clock mode and sample rate make your work with Hammerfall DSP to a real pleasure.
When working with several digital sources it is not only necessary to know if these are properly locked, but also if they are totally synchronized. RMEs exclusive SyncCheck ® checks all input signals and displays their actual state, and thanks to our new Intelligent Clock Control (ICC) concept you have all clocks and states under control - with ease.
SteadyClock(TM), RME's unique sync and clock technology allows the HDSPe AES to control the sample rate freely on its own. The Settings dialog includes a direct choice of the video and audio world's most often used sample rates. Additionally, two faders can be used to set the sample rate freely and in real-time, within the range of +/- 4% and +/- 0.4%.
Up to 3 cards of the HDSPe series can be used simultaneously, in any possible combination.
- 1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint device (no PCI Express to PCI Bridge), revision 1.1.
- 2.5 Gbps line speed
- Packet-based full-duplex communication (up to 500 MB/s transfer rate)
- All settings: changeable in real-time
- Automatic and intelligent master/slave clock control
- Enhanced Zero Latency Monitoring for latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO Direct Monitoring
- Sync sources: 8 x AES, word clock, internal
- Varipitch: by input signal or word clock
- Sample rates: 32 kHz up to 192 kHz, variable (Sync/word clock)
- Sample rate range: AES: 28 kHz - 204 kHz, word clock: 28 kHz - 204 kHz
- Jitter: < 1 ns, internal and all inputs
- Jitter sensitivity: PLL operates even at 100 ns Jitter without problems
- Comes with DIGICheck: the ultimate measurement, analysis and test tool
- Input 8 x AES, 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC)
- Output 8 x AES, 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC)
- Input word clock: BNC, Signal Adaptation Circuit (functional from 1.2 Vpp input signal), termination via jumper
- Output word clock: BNC, low-impedance driver stage, 4 Vpp into 75 Ohms, short-circuit-proof
- MIDI input and output: via four 5-pin DIN jacks
- HDSP TCO Timecode Option Module with enhanced sync options: 1 x Word Clock I/O, 1 x Video Sync Input (alternative to WC In), 1 x LTC I/O
- BOB-32 Universal Breakout Box with 2 x 8 XLR to 2 D-sub connectors (supports TASCAM and YAMAHA digital pinouts), Flip Frame Case
This item currently has no reviews.